Friday, July 27, 2007

This is not a dragon.

Somewhere in my mid-adulthood, I came to an important discovery about things that are fearful in life -- that generally, we give them the power to be fearful through the act of fearing them; they don't hold that power intrinsically. And so I came to my motto on the subject:

A thing is not a thing unless you MAKE it a thing.


And then I began the slow and arduous process of owning my life, taking posession of my own power, and developing wisdom.

I begin this blog as a place to summarize and catalog the many ideas, techniques, and tools that I'm learning about that at least have the potential to advance my life in positive directions. I have only a few groundrules:


  • Remain curious.

  • Suspend disbelief as much as possible.

  • But don't be stupid.

  • Share what's good with the people it may go on to benefit.

  • Be honest, and as much as possible transparent.



The title of the blog comes from something my son said one morning. He's 3, and he was holding a stuffed dragon, and looked at me very seriously and said "This is not a dragon." I hope he'll get this stuff much younger than his late-blooming mother.

No comments: